Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dorothy's Attic is now open September 11, 2009

I hoped to have Dorothy's Attic opened earlier in the month in time for Labor Day, but it just wasn't in the stars. But it is finally here and open for business, and so I can write the story of why the name "Dorothy's Attic"...  In celebration of this occasion prices through out the store have been reduced by 10%...


It began in my childhood when Dorothy a neighbor would ask me to do her favors, and she would pay me a dollar for helping her out. Some of the times she would offer me a drink of juice or something, depending of the task at hand. And so this continued for years until I went away to college.

She was a good neighbor, a nice woman who lived alone, but was loved by everyone in the community, and it was a sad day when she passed away some fifteen years ago.  A family member inherited her brown stone house which had seen better days, and the last thing on his mind was having another home.  The plan to fix the old house and then sell it off, but with almost non-existant funds.

The family member recruited some friends to keep the labor costs down, there was some room on his credit cards so he can buy some supplies, but then the funds fell short.  One day he stumbled into the attic and found a bunch of stuff; stuff he could easily sell in a yard sale, but then his dream dissolved as he saw the hole in the roof.  He went ahead with the yard sale, and sold me his "Herby the Love Bug" book for fifteen cents, a book Dorothy held onto saying it was her nephews favorite book.  Moments after he had sold me his prize possession a neighbor had bought something as well and they broke into a conversation.  I heard about the roof problem and told both the neighbor and Dorothy's nephew about the promotion on roofs where they were offering 0% financing for 1 year.

All I can say is that everything worked out, the yard sale gave Dorothy's nephew a few extra bucks; good for extra pizza and beer money.  A little information so he could accomplish his dreams and his friends ended up buying the house.  I know this does not seem to have merit, but then this might spur your curiosity, one of the items in the yard sale matches one of the products that I have in this online store, and when I saw it I instantly had a site name, and I did not spell Dorothy's name wrong, because this is the way her parents put it on her birth certificate, some times things are just meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment